Thursday, June 18, 2009

Perfect Peace

Yesterday, after returning from Mayo Clinic for my fourth and final chemo treatment, there was a note on our kitchen counter from a dear sister in Christ who had done some cleaning at our home before Rob & I returned. On the note, she wrote, "I am praying John 14:27 for you and your family. I looked up the Scripture reference this morning. This is what it says:

Peace I leave with you;
My peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

This message came at an opportune time. Yesterday, we met with a surgeon at Mayo Clinic about the possibility of removing my other breast to reduce the risk of cancer occurring in the future. Given my numerous risk factors such as: family history of breast cancer on maternal & paternal sides of my family; dense breast tissue that is more susceptible to breast cancer & difficult to detect on mammograms; I've had invasive breast cancer at a "young" age. Rob & I left the appointment with a definite decision that another surgery is around the bend (tentatively 3-4 months from now).

I have to admit, it depleted our feelings of celebration even though I completed my chemotherapy yesterday, there was a sinking realization that this race against cancer is definitely not over yet. However, we both are in agreement that we want to do whatever is necessary to reduce my risks of recureence. If this is part of that plan, then we walk forward in faith trusting God's sovereignty.

Last week, I read an excerpt from "Streams in the Desert," by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman on this topic of peace and she referenced the Scripture above that my friend left me yesterday. I feel led to share it as part of this entry, along with a song from Laura Story, titled, "Perfect Peace," both have ministered to me through this healing journey.

First the excerpt from "Streams in the Desert."

"Christ's life outwardly was one of the most troubled lives that ever lived: tempest and tumult, tumult and tempest, the waves breaking over it all the time until the worn body was laid in the grave. But the inner life was a sea of glass. The great calm was always there.

At any moment you might have gone to Him and found rest. And even when the human bloodhounds were dogging Him in the streets of Jerusalem, He turned to His disciples and offered them, as a last legacy, "My peace." (As referenced from John 14:27)"

"Rest is not a hallowed feeling that comes over us in church. it is the repose of the heart set deep in God." DRUMMOND

My peace I give in times of deepest grief,
Imparting calm and trust and My relief.

My peace I give when prayer seem lost, unheard;
Know that My promises are ever in My Word.

My peace I give when thou art left alone -
The nightingale at night has sweetest tone.

My peace I give in time of utter loss.
The way of glory leads right to the cross.

My peace I give when enemies will blame,
Thy fellowship is sweet through cruel shame.

My peace I give in agony and sweat,
For mine own brow with bloody drops was wet.

My peace I give when nearest friend betrays -
Peace that is merged in love, and for them prays.

My peace I give when there's but death for thee -
The gateway in the cross to get to Me. - L.S.P.


Lord Jesus, I thank you for Your perfect peace that passes all understanding during this turbulent time. Help us to keep our minds steadfast trusting in You as you say in Isaiah 26:3-4, You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord is the Rock eternal. In the power of Jesus' name. AMEN.




Lyrics to the song, "Perfect Peace" by Laura Story

Stay close by My side
Keep your eyes on Me
Though this life is hard
I will give you perfect peace

In this time of trial
Pain that no one sees
Trust Me when I say
I will give you perfect peace

And you'll never walk alone
And you'll never be in need
Though I may not calm the storms around you
You can hide in Me
Burdens that you bear
Offer no relief
Let Me bear your load
Cause I will give you perfect peace

Stay close by My side
And you'll never walk alone
Keep your eyes on Me
And you will never be in need
Though this life is hard
Know that I will always give you perfect peace
I will give you perfect peace

2 comments:

barb gilbertson said...

Hi Terri. This is a beautiful website. I love the pic of you and
Rob. With all the hair gone, it is amazing how you see right through your eyes to the very heart of your souls!! Love you guys and pray for you as you travel the road you are on.

Jason and Melissa said...

What a beautiful song, Terri! Thanks for sharing it. Miss you, friend...we need to get together soon!