Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer Showers

Summer showers and storms have arrived in our region in recent days and weeks. For me, it's a literal reminder of the rain that my family and I are currently walking through. However, this week, I read an excerpt from "Streams in the Desert," by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman that I could identify with, but also greatly encouraged me. (Read below)

"Testings are raining upon me which seem beyond my power to endure. Disappointments are raining fast, to the utter defeat of all my chosen plans. Bereavements are raining into my life which are making my shrinking heart quiver in its intensity of suffering. The rain of affliction is surely beating upon my soul these days.

Friend, you are mistaken. It isn't raining for you. It's raining blessing. For, if you will but believe your Father's Word, under that beating rain are springing up flowers of such fragrance and beauty as never before grew in that stormless, unchastened life of yours.

You indeed see the rain. But do you see also the flowers? You are pained by the testings. But God sees the sweet flower of faith which is upspringing in your life under those very trials.

Your heart winces from the suffering. But God sees the tender compassion for other sufferers which is finding birth in your soul.

Your heart winces under the sore bereavement. But God sees the deepening and enriching which that sorrow has brought you.

It isn't raining afflictions for you. It is raining tenderness, love, compassion, patience, and a thousand other flowers and fruits of the blessed Spirit, which are bringing into your life such a spiritual enrichment as all the fullness of worldly prosperity and ease was never able to beget in your innermost soul. J.M.McC."

Genesis 41:52 ..."It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering."

Lord Jesus, I pray with expectation and hope that You will make my family and I bloom and be fruitful from this rain storm. In Jesus name, AMEN.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Wow, what a powerful song and an amazing, indescribably powerful and beautiful God. No pain on earth is more powerful. Something the world (and sometimes we) can’t even conceive of but when we experience it, it is a taste of heaven on earth I think. I have been meditating on Psalm 73. (ESV)
"21When my soul was embittered, when I was pricked in heart, I was brutish and ignorant; I was like a beast toward you. 23Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
28But for me it is good to be near God; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge that I may tell of all your works."
Lord Jesus, help us to continually meditate on the truth of your Word. Help Terri (help us!) to know deep in her heart and in her experience that nothing she desires compares with You!!