Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ask

John 16:24 - Until now, you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete. (NIV)

John 16:24 - From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I am and what I am doing, I'll do it. That's how the Father will be seen for who he is in the Son. I mean it. Whatever you request in this way, I'll do it. (The Message)

James 5:15-16 - And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. if he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. (NIV)

I heard or read somewhere, that prayer unlocks faith. It's the action that demonstrates our reliance on Him. I am a firm believer of this concept.

The word that resonates in my mind this morning, is the word "ask." The Lord blesses our dependence upon Him, not self-reliance. I am right where He wants me to be - totally reliant upon Him (and the prayers of others on my behalf when I won't have the words or won't have the strength).

Jesus made it clear to His disciples that they should pray to God to meet their needs. In James 5:16 God makes a promise He intends to keep. When we pray earnestly, fervently and often, great things WILL happen. We need courage to ask. We need determination to keep asking.

So Lord, I am going to ask. I know you're listening. You promise when I ask for your help you will not withhold it. I know from experience that to be true of you. I know when I ask you answer - in your your own way, your own time, but you do answer. I also know that you want me to be persistent in asking, so you may hear from me even more than usual.

Lord some of my specific requests right now are for a faithful group of people with "mustard seed size faith" who will pray with me and for me. I know there will be days ahead when I won't have the strength nor the words to pray but I trust that you will prompt people to pray for me. Open their ears to hear those subtle promptings and give them the courage and determination to act on that.

Lord, you know we are still waiting for the MRI test to be done so that they can check lymph nodes for cancer. Lord I pray that the cancer has not gotten in the lymph nodes and spread to other parts of my body. But Lord, if it has, I pray it will be detected early so that it can be caught and treated readily. Give the doctors and medical staff who are reading the MRI keen eyes to detect any other cancer that may be present. I want it completely removed from my body.

Lord, I have another request. It may seen petty and vain to you but I know you're listening and you care about even the smallest things. I pray that my hair will not fall out from chemotherapy. I know that may seem like a silly request. I think about Erin as teenager who may be extremely embarrassed by a bald mother. Again, if you want to humble me that way, I will accept it. There are some good wigs out there these days - that's the least of my "worries" now. It has crossed my mind - so I am going to ask.

I read a quote this week from D.L. Moody that said, "Some people think God does not like to be troubled with our constant asking. But, the way to trouble God is not to come at all."

So Lord, I will come and I will ask.

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Lord for this beautiful friend who has such a heart for You! I know that You have "counted all the hairs on her head" and will be "keeping all of our tears in a bottle", Lord and we praise You that we know You will never leave or forsake her. Remind her You are there when she feels alone and abandoned.

Joanne said...

Terri,
God is amazing. As I sat in the service this morning I experienced a new depth of worship because of your situation and from the faces of many who love you, it was the same for them. How does this work? How does God take painful circumstances and turn them into worship? I almost don’t want it to be so (like I could somehow control it!) but then that reveals my limited understanding of our Creator. Then He reminded us through the book of Ruth how He is weaving all things together into a much bigger story! Real people, ordinary lives, AWESOME GOD, His story. This path is one that none of us would have chosen for you but it is so obvious that God is speaking to you and to us through it and He only knows who else. Thank you for your willing submission to His bigger story and please, please let us share the pain as well as the joy. That is what the body of Christ does. The possible loss of your hair is not a small thing to Him or to us! Oh how He loves you and me!!