Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Praying God's Word to Overcome Fear

The Lord is my light and salvation whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life -
whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

God is our refuge and strength
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore, we will not fear,
though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea. - Psalm 46:1-2

When I am afraid I will trust in you.
In God whose word I praise,
in God I trust, I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me? - Psalm 56:3-4

For you did not receive a spirit
that makes you a slave again to fear,
but you received the spirit of sonship.
And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." - Romans 8:15

I sought the Lord,
and he answered me,
he delivered me from all my fears. - Psalm 34:4

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. - Isaiah 41:10

For I am the Lord, your God,
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you,
"Do not fear, I will help you." - Isaiah 41:13-14

But now, this is what the Lord says -
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Isreal:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name;
you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Isreal, your Savior... - Isaiah 43:1-3

"...Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you."
So we say with confidence,
"The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid.
What can mortal man do to me?" - Hebrews 13:5-6

He who fears the Lord
has a secure fortress,
and his children it will be a refuge. - Proverbs 14:26

Strengthen the feeble hands,
steady the knees that give way;
say to those with fearful hearts:
"Your God will come,
He will come with vengence
with divine retribution,
He will come to save you." - Isaiah 35:3-4

Since the children have flesh and blood,
he too shared in their humanity
so that by his death he might destroy him
who holds the power of death - that is, the devil
and FREE those who all their lives were held to slavery
by their fear of death. - Hebrews 2:14-15

In the mighty name of Jesus, I pray all this for myself, my entire family and friends who are combatting fear(s) of various sorts. He is for us - so who can be against us?

8 comments:

Angie said...

Terri--

Praying for you today!

Praying the Gospel will be THE POWER OF GOD for you today and that this verse would come quick to your mind:
"He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things." Romans 8:32

We love you.
The Kruegers

Maria said...

Terri,
This is so encouraging. God's Word has so much power and comfort. It was awesome for me to read it and feel encouraged too, and also pray that you feel the comfort and peace that these Promises have for you.
Thanks so much for sharing your words on this blog.
Love,
Maria

Kristin said...

I am praying for you everyday Terri! Thank you for being a women that clings hard to the Word of the Lord. My prayer is that it will sustain you and give you life today. I am excited to be updated on your blog:) I love you and am praying for you. Read 2 Corinthians 4 today. God is good and faithful. love you!

Deb said...

Terri-

Thanks so much for doing this so we can all share the journey. We are praying God's Word for you and all your loved ones. We love you!

Deb

Debbie Steen said...

Terri,
Thank you for allowing us to follow you on your journey. We are praying for you and your family, that God will give you all the strength, comfort, and peace you need as you travel down this road. He is faithful!
Love in Christ,
Debbie Steen

Debbie Steen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joanne said...

Terri,

I know you use the Jesus Calling devotional and the reading today was written just for you! "The way just ahead of you is very steep.....cling tightly to My hand". "Lift up empty hands of faith to receive My precious Presence, Light, Joy, and Peace. May all these precious gifts flow to you and through you today!!

Unknown said...

Dear Terri,

Praying for you today that you will be able to share on this blog even when you do feel fear and share that fear so that we can be encouraged in how God takes our fear and walks us through it. I think of David and how often his Psalms start out with him bearing his heart and allowing us to see his human pain and then end with him reassured that God has not abandoned nor forsaken him even though for a moment he had felt that way. Please don't be afraid to share the painful, human, weak sides of your walk through this valley so that all can see God's power in our human weakness. Remember when we are weak then He is strong. Love you my sister! Onalee