Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Definitions of Faith

Excerpts from Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles E. Cowman

Each of three boys gave a definition of faith which is an illustration of the tenacity of faith. The first boy said, "It is taking hold of Christ"; the second, "Keeping hold"; and the third, "Not letting go."

Faith says not, "I see it is good for me, so God must have sent it," but, "God sent it, and so it must be good for me."

Faith, walking in the dark with God, only prays Him to clasp its hand more closely.

The Shepherd does not ask of thee
Faith in thy faith, but only faith in Him;
And this He meant in saying, "Come to me."
In light or darkness seek to do His will,
And leave the work of faith to Jesus still.

Faith is...the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1

True faith drops its letter in the post office box, and lets it go. It hands its case over to God, and then He works.

1 comment:

TheFrazers said...

Terri, we are thinking of you. I appreciated your blog on Streams in the Desert...that is a FAVORITE of mine. Ruth Myers has a message on discipleship library about faith and her definition is "looking unto Jesus" from Heb. 12. That has always been a challenging definition for me. Take care and Drew and I love you all!