Friday, March 13, 2009

Blessed to be a blessing

I remember a young woman standing up at a Navigator Collegiate Ministries Conference in Florida talking about a friend. This friend was "messed up," hurting and wounded. The young woman talked about how she felt compelled to just keep loving the hurting college student. Not pressuring her to become a believer, just loving her.

At one point in the relationship the "messed up" girl said to her friend, and I paraphrase: "you haven't given up on me, you are like Jesus, Jesus with skin on."

Jesus began his ministry with these words from Isaiah 61:

"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners."

Over and over again these past weeks I have felt love from so many friends, followers of Jesus and those that don't yet know His love.

I am reminded of the phrase "blessed to be a blessing." I have felt so much kindness and concern that has so richly blessed my soul. For months now I have been depressed and hurting and yet in the midst of coming to grips that Terri is battling cancer I find joy and hope because others have blessed us. You, our friends and family have been like "Jesus, with skin on" for us.

Your love has awakened again in me the desire to reach out and be a blessing to others.

We do not know how a simple random act of kindness or a purposeful reaching out to someone that is hurting outwardly or brokenhearted inside may just be what is needed to help them find the love of Jesus to mend them physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually.

His story is lived out daily when we become His hands and feet.

Loving Him, loving others. (Rob)


In 1757, Robert Robinson penned the words to the famous hymn, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. This modern interpretation is one of faith,perseverance, of redemption and forgiveness.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Rob and Terri,
When I read your posts it just makes me want to hug you both. You guys are both so precious to us and it hard to see you go through this even though we know the grace and love of our Lord Jesus Christ will sustain you and transform you even more into His likeness. We see that happening.
I am reading a book by Brennan Manning called The Furious Longing of God. He is talking about the “enormous vitality and strength of God seeking union with us”. God’s relentless pursuit of us sometimes doesn’t “feel” like love but as you know He uses all things to accomplish His purpose. Indulge me a quote from the book, “For His love is, never, never, never based on our performance, never conditioned by our moods of elation or depression. The furious love of God knows no shadow of alteration or change. It is reliable. And always tender”. May the relentless, passionate, tender love of God be your strong tower each step of this journey.