Tuesday, March 10, 2009

In Sickness and In Health

While I was laying in bed resting the other day, I noticed the wall hanging in our bedroom with familiar wedding vows on it -

"To have and to hold
from this day forward,
for better, for worse,
for richer, for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and to cherish,
till death us do part."

In the past couple weeks, I have a new appreciation for the phrase, "in sickness and in health." Rob & I are just beginning to experience the strain sickness causes upon marriage but there is also beauty in this refinement that we've never experienced before, until now.

There have been times recently when I've seen the pain in Rob's face as he watches my facial expression as I endure a procedure that causes pain. When Rob faithfully helped drain the tube from my chest every day for two weeks it caused me pain, that in turn, hurt him at a heart level. Many times after that procedure we'd hold one another and we'd both cry. He'd apologize profusely. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry it hurt you. I didn't mean to hurt you."

There have been many new, tender moments of heartache we've shared as husband and wife through this process already. Rob desires to protect me from the pain - but knows I must go through it in order to get well. He has been by my side every step of the way. Holding my hand through many necessary, sometimes painful medical procedures, attending every single doctor appointment, listening to test results from my doctors, then asking the hard questions of medical staff, listening to the responses he'd rather not hear about his wife's health, reporting back to family and friends the encouraging news and the disappointments.

There is a sacrifice that comes with supporting and caring for your spouse during a time of illness. It takes perseverance, endurance, and a lot of loving understanding from both parties. Refinement comes in unique ways to the one who is ill and for the one who care gives.

Lord, I thank you for the gift of my husband, Rob. Thank you for the strength and grace You are pouring out upon him to serve me and love me during this time of sickness. I know when I hurt, he hurts too. Comfort him, Lord Jesus. Help him and strengthen him each new day. Fill Rob with Your supernatural kind of love that only You can manifest in him, so that he is able to love me as You ask him to. Father, I ask You to help me esteem him so he knows how much I appreciate him and need him. Lord, strengthen our marriage through this journey as only You are able to, so that we may honor and glorify You through our relationship.

Ephesians 5:21 - Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

2 comments:

Carissa said...

Dear Rob and Terri,

Thank you for your testimony. Thank you for being real. Thank you for letting us experience Christ through your crisis. The Lord is near, the Lord is in charge, and our Lord is a big God who loves and cares for you. Praying for you all.

In Him, Carissa

Joanne said...

Terri,
May we never cease to be amazed at how the Lord can take something so painful and bring something beautiful from it but then the cross speaks it loud and clear.
“In Him our hearts rejoice for we trust in His holy name”. Psalm 33:21