Thursday, March 12, 2009

Others before us in this battle

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us.

Again and again woman have come up to Terri and I saying "I beat cancer," or "I have survived cancer," or "I had breast cancer, too." Many women I have known for years and never knew this very personal battle against a foe that at times "wins" in the struggle to survive.

These women, many are believers, some are not, they all share a bond that I will never fully understand as I stand on the sidelines of this race.

The author of Hebrews is asking us to consider all the saints that have lived a life of faith to the point of dying for what they believed. We are being asked to live our lives boldly for Jesus through all the days of our lives.

But I have to wonder in this current battle, could this verse also be saying,

"Look Rob, Look Terri, so many faithful women who trusted in Jesus have lived their lives for Him, this journey you are on won't slow you down. Proclaim His love for you, and share your joy in the hope He has given you. These women have, and they survived so they could share His grace, His peace, His mercy. Persevere. Run the race well."
(Rob)

No comments: